Do you know what private number plates are? If not, don’t worry – you’re not alone! Private number plates are a type of vehicle registration that is becoming increasingly popular in the UK. They are basically regular license plates, but with a private prefix or suffix. This means that they can only be used on one vehicle and cannot be transferred to another car. Here are 10 interesting facts about private number plates that you may not have known!
- The private number plate industry is worth over £2 billion in the UK.
- Prince William and Prince Harry both have private number plates – WIL 1 and HRH 1, respectively.
- In 2008, British businessman Afzal Kahn bought the private number plate “F1” for a whopping £440,000, making it the most expensive private plate in history at that point.
- The DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) releases batches of new private number plates every few months to keep up with demand.
- Private number plates can be personalized to spell out names or phrases, such as J10 RGE or S4 LLY. They can even be given as presents!
- While private number plates can enhance a car’s value, they can also decrease it if the plate is deemed too outrageous or offensive. It’s important to take care when picking a personalised number plate to ensure it won’t harm your car’s resale value.
- Many private number plates are bought as gifts for friends and family members, either for special occasions or just as a fun surprise. You can buy a number plate for someone else and then transfer it to their vehicle.
- The world’s oldest private number plate still in use dates back to 1903 – “A 1” which is owned by a car collector in England. It sold for £520,000 in 2009.
- Despite their popularity and high prices, private number plates are not allowed in some countries, such as France and Norway. This is because they believe it could lead to discrimination or favouritism.
- Private number plates can be bought or sold through private auctions, dealerships, or even online through the DVLA website. So start thinking of a clever combination for your own personalised plate!
- Private number plates can also be used on motorcycles, vans, and even tractors.
- Some private number plates can actually increase in value over time, making them a smart investment for car enthusiasts and collectors.
13.The most famous personalised number plate is “F1,” but “1D” is also popular amongst One Direction fans. And who could forget the infamous “VIP 1” owned by none other than former President of the United States, Barack Obama. So whether you’re a celebrity or just a regular car owner, private number plates can add a unique touch to your vehicle. Have fun picking out yours!
For more information on private number plates, make sure you checkout this quick link. National Numbers will be able to assist you with any questions or queries you have.