Renew car insurance online: Uncover its significance, benefits, documents required & more!
Is your car insurance expiration date around the corner? Did you know that as per the provisions of Section 196 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, driving a car with an expired insurance policy is a punishable offence in India? (Source: Indian Kanoon). Fret not. You can easily renew your car insurance online without any hassle.
You cannot drive your car with an expired car insurance; hence, it is imperative to renew car insurance at the earliest in order to avoid legal penalties.
Earlier renewing car insurance used to be a tedious task. However, now, with the advancement of technology, you can easily purchase or renew your car insurance online by simply a few clicks or taps on your laptop, mobile phone, tablet, etc. In order to better understand the complete online car insurance renewal process, in this article, along with other relevant information, we will take you through the essential documents you must possess for the process.
What is car insurance renewal?
If you have car insurance coverage, it has to be renewed after one year in the case of older vehicles and three years in the case of new vehicles. Failing to renew your insurance policy before it expires might lead to legal repercussions.
Not having active car insurance can leave you vulnerable to any unforeseen circumstances without any coverage which can bring a toll on your finances. Hence, since all insurance policies are valid for a limited time, make sure to renew car insurance policy before it expires.
Significance of timely renewal of car insurance policy
Before the policy’s expiration date, you must renew your coverage as the policy will no longer be in effect after that point. In addition to breaking the country’s traffic regulations, expired insurance will also lead to denied insurance claims. This is because once your policy has expired, your insurance provider will no longer be liable for paying for any losses or damages to your car. Hence, if your uninsured car gets involved in an accident or any other unfortunate circumstance, you will be responsible for covering all costs related to the damages to your car and third-party liabilities from your own pocket.
Your car will be protected against all monetary losses and legal liabilities if you renew your car insurance coverage on time. Additionally, it will provide you with the chance to acquire other renewal advantages, such as the no-claim bonus that car insurance providers pay you at the time of renewal.
Why Renew Your Car Insurance Policy Online?
Mandated by law, car insurance is a necessity and cannot be avoided. With the advent of digitalisation, insurance providers are now processing you with the facility of online car insurance renewal, majorly simplifying the process for you. Here are a few advantages of renewing your car insurance online:
- No agent fees: Since an agent or broker is not involved, there is no chance of incurring any unnecessary charges. You can avoid these additional expenses by having a connection directly with the insurance provider.
- Secure payments: Your money is kept secure and can be tracked if necessary. The use of online payment gateways significantly enhances safety and fully eliminates any kind of risk.
- Efficient and cost-effective: One of the major benefits of renewing your car insurance online is that it is efficient and saves time. Online renewal is quite advantageous for you as it lowers your travelling expenses and spares you from standing in endless lines.
- Easier to manage: Managing the procedure online is extremely easy. Simply, create an online account, where you can keep all of your personal information and the policy document. You only need to sign up or log in to quickly access it.
- Instant policy: After choosing the insurance plan and completing the payment, your policy documents will be instantly emailed to you. For easy access, print the documents and your insurance will be valid.
Documents required for car insurance online
The following set of documents is essential to renew your car insurance online:
- A government-issued identification document, such as a passport or PAN card
- Your address proof (passport, driver’s licence, or bank passbook)
- A latest passport-size photograph
- A copy of your driver’s licence.
- Vehicles registration
- A copy of the vehicle’s registration certificate.
- The vehicle’s pollution test certificate
- The policy number of the active insurance policy
- Credit or debit card details for online transactions
Procedure of Renewing Car Insurance Online
When your insurance coverage is about to expire, follow these steps to renew car insurance online.
Step 1: Visit your insurance provider’s website.
Step 2: Enter the necessary details such as the make, and model of the car registration number, your contact number and your email address, the date of expiry of the last valid policy, and claims made during the policy period.
Step 3: Select the add-ons you want to include in your policy, and a list of diverse plans will be displayed to you having different premiums. Pick the one that complies with your budget and your coverage needs.
Step 4: Pay the premium via online payment mode and the process is completed.
Also, please note that if you want to switch insurers, you can choose a different auto insurance plan while retaining your NCB. If you renew car insurance policy within the period of 90 days of the policy’s expiration date, your NCB will be intact even if you were late with the policy’s due date.
Lastly, you are your car’s guardian. It is essential to ensure the timely renewal of your car insurance online as it safeguards you against any legal troubles and financial losses you could suffer in any unforeseen circumstances. You also have the option of renewing your car insurance offline, whatever suits your preferences. Additionally, now that you’re aware of the necessary documents required for the renewal of a car insurance policy in India, make it a point to keep these documents at hand!
Disclaimer: The above information is for illustrative purposes only. For more details, please refer to the policy wordings and prospectus before concluding the sales.